On this page you will find my web-based work, interactive video installations, and also projection designs for performance. I’m fascinated by the way physicality can be stretched, augmented and translated through digital media. As packets of 1s and 0s, digital media allows the mutation of one form into another (eg sound into visuals). Interaction on the internet provides the opportunity for synchronous and asynchronous interactions between far flung participants. Digital media is already physical and interactions are always embodied, however much of my work has been focused on foregrounding the physical or somatic in the experience of and through the digital. My work in Digital Media is highly collaborative. This list contains work I’ve directed, work I’ve equally collaborated on, and work I’ve been hired to do for other artists. Marlon Barrios Solano has been a major influence on the way I think about digital media.
Professional Activity: Projection Design, Interactive Installation and Web Design
Meta-Academy. Producer. An experiment in embodied learning and co-creativity on the internet. Co-created with Marlon Barrios Solano. May 2013-present.
Project Website: http://about.me/MetaAcademy
- Past Meta-Academy Projects: Bates Dance Festival 2013, HZT Berlin 2013, Impulstanz 2014, Bates Dance Festival 2014, Taking Place Columbus 2014.
- Upcoming Meta-Academy projects: Impulstanz 2015, HZT Berlin Fall 2015, Tanz Im August 2015 (in negotiations)
- Meta-academy augmented reality book project in production now.
“AUNTS for Camera.” Video Installation Associate.
Project Description Link: http://www.newmuseum.org/exhibitions/view/auntsforcamera 9 channel video installation for “live video editing” directed by Vanessa Justice.
- September 10–14, 2014: New York. “AUNTSforcamera” Production Week: Open Studios. Principal photography for nine dance-for-camera works occurred during a weeklong shared open studio in the New Museum Theater.
- November 6–30, 2014: Amsterdam, NL. “AUNTSforcamera” Installation: Trouw
The nine works comprising “AUNTSforcamera” were exhibited as an immersive moving-image installation at TrouwAmsterdam.
- December 16, 2014–February 15, 2015: New York. “AUNTSforcamera” Installation: New Museum
“New York Live Arts Studio Series: Vanessa Justice Dance.” Touch Screen Video Installation Designer.
Touch screen installation to accompany choreography by Vanessa Justice Dance at New York Live Arts (formerly Dance Theater Workshop). New York, New York. Premier: May 4-5, 2012.
“am big ambiguous.” Video projection editor and camera person.
Multimedia dance performance by Vanessa Justice. Triskelion Arts. Brooklyn, New York. September 2010.
“Flatland” Video projection editor.
Multimedia dance performance by Vanessa Justice. Joyce SOHO. New York, NY. October 2009.
“Ex‐Memory: waywewere” Video projection editor.
Multimedia dance performance choreographed by Jeanine Durning with video design by Ray Roy. Movement Research. New York, NY. January 2009.
“Ohio State’s Movement Treasures.” Designer, Programmer.
Interactive Touch Screen Computer Kiosk created for The Ohio State University’s Theater Research Institute’s presentation of the Dance Heritage Coalition’s “America’s Irreplaceable Dance Treasures. Nina Couch, institute curator. February 2005.
“Play the Space.” Conceptual Collaborator and Technical Support.
Interactive Installation created in collaboration by programmer Marlon Barrios-Solano. Wexner Center for the Arts. Columbus, Ohio. March 2004.
“Labanlab.” Web Designer.
Bilingual, multimedia web site designed to teach Laban Dance Notation directed by Dr. Shelia Marion (Professor, The Ohio State University Department of Dance). http://www.dance.ohio-state.edu/5_resources/labanlab/index.html
- Chinese Culture University and Dance Notation Bureau International
Conference. Chinese Culture University. Taipei, China. August 5-7, 2004.
- 23rd Biennial Conference of the Council of Kinetography Laban/Labanotation.
Beijing Normal University. Beijing, China. July 23-29, 2004.
- National Dance Education Organization Annual Conference. Booker T.
Washington High School for the Performing and Visual Arts. Dallas, Texas.
January 19-21, 2004.
- Biennial Conference of the Council of Kinetography Laban/Labanotation.
Ohio State University. Columbus, OH. July 2001.